Saturday, July 19, 2008

Laundry Room & Adoption Update

I was able to make another dent in the laundry room project today. I started off my morning (ok, forenoon) by getting the dirty work out of the way and made a trip into the attic.

I had to crawl into this part of the attic to run a new electrical wire to the light in the laundry room. Previously this light was switched with the garage lights. I was pretty sure Monica wouldn't think it was very cool to need to go to the garage to turn on the laundry room light. It might take away some of the convenience of the main level laundry. Being in the attic brought back some good memories of working on JB & Carla's house.













Brennan wanted to get in the attic with me. I decided I didn't need any holes in our ceiling so I just let him peek in.














After I got back out of the attic, I spent some time framing up a soffit. The main purpose of this soffit is to hide the heat pump lines running between the unit in the bonus room and the outdoor unit.













My next big challenge is to re-frame this wall to allow for the opening into the house. Because it's a bearing wall, that makes it a little more interesting. Also, you can see that it's not just one big wall. Nope, there's a 6' wall and then another 3' wall sitting on top of it. I'm thinking of calling in a pro for this task (paging Jon Swartz, paging Jon Swartz, would Jon Swartz please report to Beachyville?).

















Tentatively the plumber is supposed to be out on Wednesday to rough in the water and drain lines for the washer and the laundry tub. The cabinet man was out last Monday to get our cabinet layout going. This week I want to start tearing out the closet in the mud room so that's done when we're ready to cut through this wall.


Adoption Update


We should get the word on Monday or Tuesday that we're official clients of AGCI. We sent in all our contracts and a chunk of cash last Monday, they arrived in Portland on Wednesday, and they take 3 business days to process them. After that we'll be assigned our case manager and sent our dossier packet to start working on.

We got our information from the home study agency this past week. Oh yeah, it was an 86 page pdf document. When I opened it and saw the number of pages, I felt a little overwhelmed. Fortunately a big chunk at the end is just educational stuff, but there is still plenty of things to do to get everything they need. The biggest stuff for Monica and I is that we each need to write an autobiography addressing the following main topics: Childhood, Family, Education, Military Service (that should be brief), Criminal History (we won't discuss the length of this section:), Courtship & Marriage, Career, Self Evaluation, Physical & Emotional, and Child (adoption and parenting stuff). They are "interested in your impressions and feelings, not a list of events." Good times! That's right up an accountant's ally.

Alright, enough for now.

3 comments:

Kathy Beachy said...

I'm impressed! Although I live next door, I didn't know that you did all that yesterday.

Melissa said...

ha! brennan's tiny little face pokin' in made me laugh out loud! as for your adoption autobiography, please include such stories as your violent sister throwing a scissors at you, etc. this should increase your chances to 200%!

Melissa said...

pretty sure "monday or tuesday" has come and gone. news?