Monday, May 18, 2009

Today It Really Happened

I typed this a few hours ago but the internet wasn't working until now...

What an amazing day! OUR SON is sleeping on the bed right now. We
met the rest of our travel group this morning at breakfast and we all
anxiously awaited the arrival of Almaz. Once Almaz arrived we went
over some paperwork and then it was time to take "the walk". Because
we got to the hotel on Sunday afternoon, we had already taken a
practice walk the day before. Hannah's Hope really is very close to
the hotel. When we took our practice walk on Sunday we were able to
resist the temptation to knock on the gate. We just took a few
pictures, tossed back a ball that came over the wall, and went back to
the hotel.

Anyway, we took the real walk this morning with our group. We have 8
families in our travel group. Only one family was getting an older
child, the rest infants. We all got to see them meet their son who is
4 years old. It was a very special moment. He ran right to them and
was hugging them and was so excited to see them. If you didn't tear
up a bit watching that, something is wrong. The mom said later that
meeting him went better than she could have ever dreamed.

After that we went inside the building where the babies were. We
waited while a few other families met their babies. Then Almaz took
us to where Bemnet was. He was sleeping in his crib so we just looked
at him for a bit. After a while one of the special moms came and woke
him up and handed him to Monica.

Ever since we got him, he has been AMAZING!!! He could not have
possibly been any better so far. He's been happy and content the
entire time we've had him. If he's half this content and happy
normally we are going to be sitting pretty. Earlier I got a video of
Monica showing him Brennan and Sawyer's picture and saying their
names. Each time she would say "Brennan and Sawyer" or "brothers" and
point at their pictures, he would get all giggly.

It has been an amazing day! We are so incredibly blessed. Thank you
for all your prayers and support.

25 comments:

Melissa said...

tears just keep coming!!!!!!!!!!! i've been checking your blog obsessively since last night at about 8pm our time, which was 6am your time. i was wondering if you might blog out of anxiety. each time i checked it, i offered up a prayer for you, and many others have been doing the same. i'm at work now, and have been going back to my desk every ten minutes to check, and i'm happy to say i saw the post IMMEDIATELY when you posted it!

i'm SO happy for you guys!!!! what a relief to have jeremiah in the family where he belongs, with the parents who love him. blessings

Wil/Papaw said...

I have been watching all day for this post. Praise the Lord! Great news! Love him.

Carrie said...

SO happy for you guys!!!

Troy said...

that's amazing. when I woke up this morning, I knew you had already met him and couldn't imagine it ... great update!

Tisha Alexander said...

I am so happy for you guys!!!! He is just too cute and Monica looks like she is in heaven. LOVE IT! It is such a blessing to ready your posts each day. Thank you.

Jess & Matt said...

WOW HOW AMAZING! Monica looks so very happy.Congratulations! I continue to pray for your safe travels home.

Jen Bontrager said...

Yeah! He couldn't be any more adorable! Wow- can't believe you actually have him. I love his hair! May the happiness continue!

Sue said...

This is so special and touching...so glad for you for the day today!! Blessings on the rest of the week...and we hope to see you by the weekend too!

WELCOME JEREMIAH!

Eastiopians said...

He is beautiful! Congratulations to you guys! What an amazing post. Thank you for sharing!

Theresa

Kathy Beachy said...

I can't be happier!! I kept my phone in my pocket at work and the minute you posted I had a text from Melissa and a call from Wil. I had Dr. B bring up your blog and she printed the picture of Monica and Jeremiah. Needless to say I showed off the picture the rest of the afternoon. When I showed Sawyer the picture tonight, he said, "baby brother...mommy",

anna said...

How sweet! Be safe.

lynette showalter said...

i am in awe. and crying tears of joy! so happy the three of you are finally together.

and, of course, will want to hear more about your time at "the spot". that touched me incredibly. love you!

Unknown said...

Amazing...pictures and story. I have tears over here too! So very happy for you! What a sweet sweet baby boy.

beemanworld said...

He is so precious! I am so happy for you guys. What an absolute blessing and I can tell your family cannot wait to meet him! I pray you have safe travels as you prepare to come back. Congratulations!

Deb said...

Today was my first day back to work. When I got home the first thing Mary and Nate said was, "Look at this picture! Read Matt's blog!" We're so happy and excited for you guys.

grandma vi said...

Congratulations!!

I look at the picture many times during the day. Excited for your return on Sat. Love ya.

Brooke said...

Amazing! Just amazing! As i was looking at these sweet pictures (and yes...crying) i couldn't help but think how lucky Jeremiah is to be chosen as your son! He looks so happy (almost as if he knows just how special he is)! Can't wait for you (3) to get home so i can meet this little man! And Matt-thanks for being on the ball with your posting! Carla R. and i were talking at school wondering just exactly how soon we were going to get to see you two with your little son! Love him dearly and I haven't even met him yet! Brooke

Mary said...

I'd first read your post over Nate's shoulder yesterday, so just now realized that I hadn't actually commented! But, I am SO happy for you!! He is so sweet, and looks so happy in Mama's arms. I'm having a great time with Baby Silvie here in OR, but, I won't be home to meet Jeremiah til Tuesday! :-) Blessings!

pa'lee showalter said...

Matt and Monica,congratulations! I love the pictures and we are so excited for you. Can't wait to meet Jeremiah!

Kristi J said...

OH, i have tears just reading that...Give my Martha a hug and kiss for me, Kristi

Linda said...

Monica your smile is worth a thousand words. I love his curly hair! Boys are anxious to see "baby brother" as Sawyer would say. I will see you when I get back from AZ. Can't wait to hold him. Jeremiah is so blessed to have two wonderful parents. Safe travel back home. Love Linda

Anonymous said...

Great news! I thought of you as you fly over/by late last week. We're so happy for you and pray that this is a meaningful time of connecting with the places and people that have shaped Jeremiah until now. Jason

Marlene Martin Penner said...

Congrats on being united with your son! I met you at the adoption group gathering in Goshen this past year and found your blog thru Mandy Yoder. I hope to see your complete family at another gathering in the future...your son is beautiful.

Mrs. I said...

I was in college with two lovely Ethiopian girls both named Almaz. That memory makes me "feel" that your newest grandson has been in good hands with the Almaz who has cared for him.

Charlotte said...

We're so happy for you! What an adorable little guy!